A Little Humor with the Periodic Table for the Holidays!
By Tim Williamson
Many of you who teach the “Periodic Table” may have discovered that it can be very difficult to engage your younger students in understanding this rather intimidating chart. Especially for those 3rd and 5th-grade teachers where some sort of periodic table interaction is part of their science standards.
I’ve been using a fun and unique getting-acquainted-with-the-periodic-table game with my preservice elementary science methods teachers at CSULB for many years. It’s a great way to introduce elementary students to the periodic table and helps take away some of the “scary feelings” associated with the chart.
The name of the game is “Chemistry Can Be Pun.” You’ll have to pick and choose from the list if you’re going to use this with third grade as some of them are more difficult to understand.
I’m sure many of you have seen this before, but perhaps have misplaced it or wished you’d have saved a copy of it. Well, here it is! I can’t remember where I got my copy or who came up with the idea because I’ve had it for many years. So whoever put it together, thank you for your great idea and for making a sometimes difficult introduction to the periodic table humorous and fun.
Happy Holidays and enjoy!
Chemistry Can Be Pun
With a wild imagination and a flair for puns, you will be able to use the names of many of the elements to take the place of other words or phrases. Some are very straightforward, but many homonyms require a stretch of the imagination. Be creative and have pun!
1. Police officer. ____________________
2. Lone Ranger's horse. ________________________
3. If they are not here, they ___________.
4. To press a blouse. ________________________
5. Motto for an oil well‑drilling company. __________________________
6. What should you do with dead people's bodies? ________________________
7. A fixture in your house with a faucet and a drain. _________________________
8. Wholenium x 0.5. ____________________________
9. A ridiculous prisoner. ____________________________
10. A burial chamber that weighs 2 000 pounds. ____________________________
11. Guided or directed. __________________________
12. Grab that guy! _____________________________
13. What do you do before you brand a steer? _______________________________
14. A popular red or pink flower found in pots. ____________________________
15. A Latin Mickey Mouse's dog. _____________________________
16. Someone who helps people in distress is a good __________________________
17. After successfully riding a bronco, a rancher shouts, "I _________________ ."
18. What do you do if you are a big, dark cloud? __________________________
19. Speaking of beautiful mountains, you might say, "They __________________ ."
20. Funds from your mother's sister. ___________________________
21. Opposite of hot. ______________________
22. A person from Norway, Sweden, or Finland. ________________________
23. A Native American. ___________________________
24. If people are sick, the doctor will ______________________.
25. A wrestler holding down an opponent may have a ____________________ him.
26. The kitchen on a Roman ship. _____________________________
27. The police may stage a _______________ a bookie joint.
28. A roll shaped like an automobile. ______________________________
29. A person from Troy who only goes out after dark. __________________________
30. What a fatally wounded person says. ____________________________
31. Boards that have nailed down to walk upon. ______________________________
32. The ruler of Davy Jones' Locker. ________________________________
33. Kings, Queens, Princes, and Princesses ______________________________
34. A name for a person who talks too much. _______________________________
35. Function of a bullet-proof vest. ______________________________
36. Upper class of Troy. _________________________________
37. What you did to the wrinkles when you ironed a shirt. _____________________
38. What do you call a starving man’s gut? _____________________________
Pun Answers: There may be better ones out there…
24. helium, curium