Region 4 Update - Oct/Nov 2021
As summer (slowly here in SoCal) gives way to fall, I always love the feeling of morning fog in the air and the need for layers in the evening. October always feels like the true start of the school year to me. Students and teachers are settled in, informal education programs are hosting their teacher events, and the excitement of reconnecting with friends and colleagues from around the state at our annual CA Science Education Conference keeps me energized all month. Get outside and find evidence that fall is here in your neighborhood!
In addition to the learning that can be had at the CASE Conference and the CA NGSS Collaborative Professional Learning #1, see the opportunities from Region 4 below:
Southern CA Association of Science Specialists - Fall General Meeting
Join SCASS as we dive into science as a lever for equity and engagement.
- Network with Southern California colleagues
- Deepen your knowledge of culturally and linguistically responsive teaching in the science classroom
- Explore themes of equity with a science lens
UC Irvine Science Project
Engineering Classroom Ambassador Program:
- Through this no-cost classroom ambassador program, teachers and students can work with UCI engineering undergraduates and JPL to build their confidence, capacity, and identity in STEM!
- Register here.
The Young Engineers and Scientists (YES) Program is currently enrolling 4th and 5th grade students and teachers.
- In this program, learn about local phenomena, civic engineering, and inquiry driven digital storytelling. All students accepted into this program receive materials to engage in a hands-on experience.
- Register here.
NGSS Certification Programs (Tier 1 Foundational and Tier 2 Intermediate)
- Join a cohort of teachers to deconstruct the NGSS framework while engaging in research based practices, to continue to build your capacity as an equity-centered educator for NGSS.
- For more information, go to scienceproject.cfep.uci.edu